This savory muffin is very crumbly texture. Could be eaten as a snack or put in kids lunch boxes. I used pizza tomato topping sauce for the tomato sauce and it worked well.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 eggs or 1 egg substitute, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt, sifted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups tasty cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce, cooking sauce
- Preheat the oven at 200°C and grease muffin pans, set aside.
- In a small pan melt one tablespoon of butter and then add onions and cook until soft.
- Mix beaten egg and milk together, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine (dry ingredients) sifted flour, salt and parsley then rub in one tablespoon of butter.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients to make a light scone batter. Add more milk if needed. Add onions and half the cheese.
- Half fill prepared muffin pans with mixture.
- Put up to 1 teaspoon sauce in the middle of each muffin. Take care that sauce stays mostly in the middle. If there is too much sauce, muffins will come apart when removed from pans.
- Cover each muffin with remaining mixture until pans are three quarters full.
- Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins.