1/2 Photos of Tomato Relish, Aussie Style
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is the best selling, fabulous tasting, world famous Tomato Relish as made by the "Boonooroo Brown Paper-bag Ladies" This is REALLY like granma used to make. If I buy "cooking tomatoes" and they are very pale, I add a small tub of tomato paste. You can add garlic, or herbs to this recipe, but I dont find it needs it. I always double this recipe, cause I am constantly being asked for it :) I use good quality brown vinegar, but the my fellow Bag Ladies use the generic stuff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1skin tomatoes, cut in cubes, place in bowl.
- 2Peel onions, chop finely, place in separate bowl. Sprinkle each with one tablespoon salt and leave overnight.
- 3Next day place tomatoes , and the onions together in a saucepan.and their liquid.
- 4Add sugar, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved, increase heat, bring to boil, boil, 5 minutes
- 5Combine curry, chilli and mustard, mix to smooth paste with a little vinegar, add remaining vinegar, add to saucepan and stir to combine thoroughly. Bring to boil and boil uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thick.
- 6If necessary, (and it probably is ) thicken with 3 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with a little vinegar.
- 7Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Relish, Aussie Style
Serving Size: 1 (2649 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.2
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2346.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 76.8 g
- Protein 3.5 g