Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad goes good with any main dish and is especially nice with BBQ. Easy to carry to picnics or potlucks too! Just 4 ingredients make it fast and easy! Fits into many catagories for the Zaar World Tour especially SW.Taken from a Louisiana Cajun French Church Anniversary Cookbook.
- 10 cups romaine lettuce, -prewashed in bag
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip light or 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large bowl tear lettuce into small pieces.
- Drain oranges and reserve 2 Tbsp of juice.
- Mix reserved juice, vinegar, onion powder and garlic powder with miracle whip until smooth.
- Add drained oranges and onions to lettuce.
- Drizzle miracle whip mixture over all and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
I served this to a group. We liked it but you had to eat it fast because it did wilt rather easy. Flavor was good. Try it and see what you think-it is worth trying!
VERY delicious salad. The other similar salad that I make has no mayo in the dressing (it's a little more Asian, w/o the mayo), and this recipe has a nice, creamy difference. It's a great salad for making little changes, depending on what you have at hand. I reduced the recipe to serve two, used iceberg & baby spinach, and used one NAVEL ORANGE, plus its juice instead of opening a can of mandarin oranges. I liked the tartness of the fresh orange. I used mayo only (and not Miracle Whip) in the dressing. I put in some raisins, added 2 crisp slices of bacon, crumbled, and a few croutons. And, next time, it could be, that I'll make it a bit differently, but I DID love it this way!