I got this recipe from my great grandmother and I have added to it throughout the years I have been making them. They are awesome for a meal and the family loves them. It's a definite comfort food that kids can eat with their fingers when cold - a great idea to get fish into a child's diet.
- 1 (425 g) can tuna in water (drained and flaked)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (more if you want to feed a large group)
- 2 cups cooked rice (add more if you prefer)
- 1 onion, diced up
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove (chopped finely)
- 1 cup tasty cheese (your own personal favourite)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch mixed herbs (italian is just as good)
- 1 (425 g) can corn kernels
- cooking oil, to cook patties
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Take can of corn, flaked tuna, mashed potato, cooked rice, 1 egg, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, onion and cheese and mix them together in a large bowl.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan on stove top.
- Take mixture and roll into golf ball sized balls.
- Put plain flour into a bowl, mix beaten egg, 1/4 cup of milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper together, then put into a bowl, put breadcrumbs into a bowl.
- Take balls of mixture and drop them into the bowl of plain flour, then put them into the bowl of egg mixture, then coat them in the the bowl of breadcrumbs.
- Do about 6-7 balls at a time. Put them in the heated oil pan, pressing them down to make into patties at the same time.
- Cook for about 10 - 12 minutes or until they are golden brown, then turn them over and cook the other side until they are golden brown.
- Take them out and place them on paper towels to drain the excess oil off of them.
- Repeat steps until all of the mixture is used up.
- You can serve them hot or cold with salad or with chips or even steamed vegetables.
- If you are not into really fried crispy patties, you could skip instructions 4-6 and just take the plain mixture and make them into balls.
- Spray your frying pan with cooking spray and then put mixture balls into the pan.
- Press them down to make them patties. cook until they are golden brown. (around 10-15 minutes each side)
- I have cooked these patties both ways and they are so delicious.