2 hrs 30 mins
From JoycesFineCooking.com, a traditional Australian recipe for leg of lamb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 large potatoes
- 8 pieces pumpkin
- 2 leeks, cut in half
- 4 slices bacon, rashers crisply fried
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1Preheat oven 350°F.
- 2Cut small slits all over the skin of the leg of lamb.
- 3Insert garlic pieces and rosemary sprigs.
- 4Brush lamb with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 5Fill a baking dish halfway with water and place a wire rack on top and then put the lamb on the dish.
- 6Roast for about 1½ hours or until cooked as desired, basting often with the pan juices.
- 7Peel potatoes, cut in half and score them with a fork.
- 8Combine butter, oil, salt and thyme.
- 9Toss potatoes in the mixture.
- 10Take potatoes out and keep mixture for later.
- 11Place potatoes around the leg of lamb after the lamb has been cooking for about 40 minutes.
- 12Roast for 50 minutes, brushing halfway through with a little of the butter mixture.
- 13Toss pumpkin pieces in the mixture and place next to the roast after it has been cooking for 50 minutes.
- 14Wrap 1 bacon rasher around each half of leek.
- 15Place leeks next to pumpkins after roast has been baking for 70 minutes.
- 16When everything is done, take the rack off the baking dish and place the rack on an oven proof tray.
- 17Return to oven to keep warm.
- 18To make gravy, place the baking dish with the juices from the meat on the stove top.
- 19Discard all but 3 tablespoons of the juices.
- 20Heat the dish, stir in the flour and cook until brown.
- 21Gradually add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and wine.
- 22Stir until the mixture boils and thickens, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- 23Slice the meat and arrange everything on plates.
- 24Pour the gravy over the meat.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Aussie Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (1113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1726.6
- Calories from Fat 975
- Total Fat 108.3 g
- Saturated Fat 42.7 g
- Cholesterol 387.7 mg
- Sodium 1060.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 107.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: