Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From JoycesFineCooking.com, a traditional Australian recipe for leg of lamb.
Make and share this Traditional Aussie Lamb recipe from Food.com.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 large potatoes
- 8 pieces pumpkin
- 2 leeks, cut in half
- 4 slices bacon, rashers crisply fried
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Cut small slits all over the skin of the leg of lamb.
- Insert garlic pieces and rosemary sprigs.
- Brush lamb with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill a baking dish halfway with water and place a wire rack on top and then put the lamb on the dish.
- Roast for about 1½ hours or until cooked as desired, basting often with the pan juices.
- Peel potatoes, cut in half and score them with a fork.
- Combine butter, oil, salt and thyme.
- Toss potatoes in the mixture.
- Take potatoes out and keep mixture for later.
- Place potatoes around the leg of lamb after the lamb has been cooking for about 40 minutes.
- Roast for 50 minutes, brushing halfway through with a little of the butter mixture.
- Toss pumpkin pieces in the mixture and place next to the roast after it has been cooking for 50 minutes.
- Wrap 1 bacon rasher around each half of leek.
- Place leeks next to pumpkins after roast has been baking for 70 minutes.
- When everything is done, take the rack off the baking dish and place the rack on an oven proof tray.
- Return to oven to keep warm.
- To make gravy, place the baking dish with the juices from the meat on the stove top.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons of the juices.
- Heat the dish, stir in the flour and cook until brown.
- Gradually add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and wine.
- Stir until the mixture boils and thickens, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slice the meat and arrange everything on plates.
- Pour the gravy over the meat.