Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This tuna mornay is a little different from most. Everyone I make this for comments on the unique taste and how delicious it is. I hope you enjoy it.
- 420 g tuna in water (drained)
- 1 onion
- 3 -4 grated garlic cloves
- 6 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1 cup of cooked frozen peas and corn
- 2 -3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups of grated tasty cheese (like cheddar)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with
- 200 g penne pasta
- grated cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and put aside.
- In a frypan saute onion and garlic until just softened. Remove from heat.
- In a pan melt butter and add milk, when warmed slowly add grated cheese until melting. Dont let the mixture boil though. Once cheese is melted through add the cornlour or sifted flour to thicken the sauce. Put aside.
- Cook the corn and peas until almost cooked. Remove from heat or microwave and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl add the tuna (drained), the corn and peas, the fresh chopped basil, onion and garlic, sweet chilli sauce (approx 2-3 full tablespoons), dried basil and a dash of dried chilli powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Add cooked pasta to the mixture and slowly mix through the cheese sauce mixture. I usually taste here to make sure enough sweet chilli has been added.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish, top with a very thin layer of grated cheese and then a layer of breadcrumbs on top. Cover with foil.
- Bake in oven at 180 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until cooked in the middle. Remove foil approximately 30 minutes into the cooking so the breadcrumbs brown up.
not so sure about the sweet chilli, felt that it took away the distinct flavor of tuna...used canned corn and peas, makes it a fairly easy dish for the lazy days!