Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Australian BH&G Diabetic Living issue 12 2007. Marinating and resting times (35 minutes) have not been included.
- 2 (400 g) cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 egg tomatoes (deseeded, chopped)
- 1 head fennel (medium, trimmed finely chop bulb and roughly chop fronds)
- 1 red onion (small, chopped)
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper (bell pepper, chopped)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper (fresh)
- 400 g tuna steaks
- nonstick cooking spray
- 60 g salad leaves (mixed)
- 6 slices sourdough bread (to serve)
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, fennel, 1 tablespoon of the fennel fronds, red onion and capsicum (bell pepper), sed aside.
- In a small, screw top jar, put the vinegar, lemon juice, oil and pepper and shake to combined well.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss lightly to combine.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Now preheat a barbecue chargrill or char-grill pan on medium.
- Spray both sides of the tuna with the cooking spray. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until just cooked, transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Using a fork break the tuna into bite size pieces.
- Toss tuna with the bean mixture.
- Arrange serving plates with salad leaves and then arrange tuna mix on top and then sprinkle over a few fennel fronds and serve with the bread.
Wonderful! This had a nice mixture of flavors and was very satisfying. We had it for dinner with sourdough toast and everyone loved it. This was actually our first time trying fennel and it had a mild, licorice flavor and aroma that we really liked. This is a recipe I will definitely make again! Made for ZaarTag.