This recipe was one of 8 favourite recipes by Valli Little on recipe cards which came with the current issue of the Australian cooking magazine 'delicious'.
- 600 g beef mince or 19 ounces ground beef
- 100 g pancetta or 3 ounces pancetta, rind removed, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup basil pesto (90g/3oz)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 small red onions, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g rocket (11/2oz-2oz) or 50 g baby spinach leaves (11/2oz-2oz)
- 2 small tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 3 -4 bocconcini, sliced
- 4 italian bread rolls, split
- Place the beef, pancetta and 2 tablespoons of pesto in a processor; season with salt and pepper; pulse until just combined (do not over-process); form the mixture into 4 patties and chill while you cook the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3; heat a chargrill pan or cr barbecue over a medium heat; toss the onion in a little oil and grill for 1 minute on each side or until just cooked; place the onion in the oven to keep it warm; brush the tomatoes with a little oil and season them with salt and pepper , to taste; then grill the tomatoes for one minute on each side; place the tomatoes in the oven to keep them warm; mix the remaining pesto with the mayonnaise.
- Brush both sides of the patties with oil; cook the patties on the chargrill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through; top the patties with bocconcini and place them in the oven for 1 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Spread the bread-roll bases with some of the mayonnaise mixture; top with rocket, patties, onion and tomato; drizzle with the remaining mayonnaise mixture and top with the remaining bread-roll halves.