This recipe was one of 8 favourite recipes by Valli Little on recipe cards which came with the current issue of the Australian cooking magazine 'delicious'.
- 600 g beef mince or 19 ounces ground beef
- 100 g pancetta or 3 ounces pancetta, rind removed, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup basil pesto (90g/3oz)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 small red onions, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g rocket (11/2oz-2oz) or 50 g baby spinach leaves (11/2oz-2oz)
- 2 small tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 3 -4 bocconcini, sliced
- 4 italian bread rolls, split
- Place the beef, pancetta and 2 tablespoons of pesto in a processor; season with salt and pepper; pulse until just combined (do not over-process); form the mixture into 4 patties and chill while you cook the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3; heat a chargrill pan or cr barbecue over a medium heat; toss the onion in a little oil and grill for 1 minute on each side or until just cooked; place the onion in the oven to keep it warm; brush the tomatoes with a little oil and season them with salt and pepper , to taste; then grill the tomatoes for one minute on each side; place the tomatoes in the oven to keep them warm; mix the remaining pesto with the mayonnaise.
- Brush both sides of the patties with oil; cook the patties on the chargrill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through; top the patties with bocconcini and place them in the oven for 1 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Spread the bread-roll bases with some of the mayonnaise mixture; top with rocket, patties, onion and tomato; drizzle with the remaining mayonnaise mixture and top with the remaining bread-roll halves.
These burgers were really good and a nice departure from our normal way of making them. We used our stovetop grill pan, otherwise made no modifications to the recipe. Thanks for posting!
Wow these are true gourmet burgers - just delicious! Just loved everything about these. Take the time to grill the veggies and make the basil-mayo - they make these burgers extra special. Thanks for posting this winner!
We really enjoyed the unique flavors of these burgers. What a great combination. The pesto really adds something special to these. I switched out the pancetta for bacon. Thanks bluemoon! Made for PRMR game.