I’m not the best cake maker in the world but when hubby asked for a chocolate cake for his birthday, Little Miss and I wanted to make one for him. This cake was perfect as everyone really enjoyed the flavours, texture and presentation. I didn’t make the Zig-Zag shapes as we had candles to place on top. This recipe comes from 'Crazy for Chocolate' family Circle's Step by Step cookbook.
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄3 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100 g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to moderate 108°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Brush a deep 20 cms (8 inch) round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line base and sided with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, add coffee powder. Beat until combined.
- Add eggs gradually, beating well after each addition, add vanilla essence.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted flours, soda and cocoa alternately with buttermilk. Stir until combined and smooth. Stir through chocolate bits.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin, smooth surface. Bake 50-60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Leave cake in tin for 30 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- To make icing melt butter and chocolate in a small heatproof bowl, stand bowl over a pan of simmering water until chocolate is smooth and glossy. When cool, spread icing evenly over top of cake. Decorate with chocolate zig zags if desired.
- To make zig-zags, Wrap a rolling pin with baking paper. Place 100 gram (3 1/2 oz) chocolate melts in heat-proof bowl, stand bowl over pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Pour into paper icing bag, seal end and snip off tip. Drizzle chocolate over backing paper in zig zag patterns. When set, carefully lift off with a flat-bladed knife. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator between sheets of greaseproof paper.
- Storage time for cake, could be made up to 3 days ahead. Store in an airtight container. Decorated (icing/zig-zag) on the day you need to use the cake.