1/1 Photo of Upside-Down Banana Cake
1 hr 20 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
As with all upside-down cakes, what goes into the pan first ends up on top, so this ready-to-eat banana cake has enticing banana slices on top making it both aesthetically more pleasing to the eye - and even more delicious. Adapted from a recipe in a recent issue of the Australian magazine 'New Idea'. If you like nuts on your banana cakes, add slivered almonds - as suggested below - or whatever nuts take your fancy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 bananas, extremely ripe, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
SERVING SUGGESTIONS (optional)
- 1Grease a 14cm x 24cm loaf pan, and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- 2Making the topping: combine the butter and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved; spread this over the base of the pan; cut each banana into 9cm lengths, then cut each banana into four even slices; arrange the slices, cut-side facing downwards on top of the butter-sugar mixture.
- 3Making the cake: beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl (with an electric mixer if you have one) until light and fluffy; beat in the egg until it has combined with the mixture; transfer to a large bowl and stir in the mashed bananas; then gradually stir in the flour and the milk. Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, spoon it into the prepared pan on top of the banana slices.
- 4Cooking the cake: cook in a moderate (180°C) for one hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer; allow it to rest in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn it out onto an wire rack to cool.
- 5Serving the cake: the banana cake can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve with fresh cream or sweetened cream cheese (see SERVING SUGGESTIONS below).
- 6SERVING SUGGESTIONS: to serve the cake with sweetened cream cheese, beat 125g cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar until the mixture is smooth, and serve in a separate bowl. Sprinkle the cake with slivered almonds.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside-Down Banana Cake
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.3
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.0 mg
- Sodium 311.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g