As with all upside-down cakes, what goes into the pan first ends up on top, so this ready-to-eat banana cake has enticing banana slices on top making it both aesthetically more pleasing to the eye - and even more delicious. Adapted from a recipe in a recent issue of the Australian magazine 'New Idea'. If you like nuts on your banana cakes, add slivered almonds - as suggested below - or whatever nuts take your fancy!
- 125 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 bananas, extremely ripe, mashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 50 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 large bananas, ripe
SERVING SUGGESTIONS (optional)
- 125 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Grease a 14cm x 24cm loaf pan, and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Making the topping: combine the butter and sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved; spread this over the base of the pan; cut each banana into 9cm lengths, then cut each banana into four even slices; arrange the slices, cut-side facing downwards on top of the butter-sugar mixture.
- Making the cake: beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl (with an electric mixer if you have one) until light and fluffy; beat in the egg until it has combined with the mixture; transfer to a large bowl and stir in the mashed bananas; then gradually stir in the flour and the milk. Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, spoon it into the prepared pan on top of the banana slices.
- Cooking the cake: cook in a moderate (180°C) for one hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer; allow it to rest in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn it out onto an wire rack to cool.
- Serving the cake: the banana cake can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve with fresh cream or sweetened cream cheese (see SERVING SUGGESTIONS below).
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: to serve the cake with sweetened cream cheese, beat 125g cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar until the mixture is smooth, and serve in a separate bowl. Sprinkle the cake with slivered almonds.
A real nice easy to make cake. Loved the banana flavor, and the outcome. Will make again. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
For all you banana lovers, THIS IS A GREAT TASTING CAKE! Made it as per the recipe (so easy to do!) & so tasty when served with the sweetened cream cheese AND some toasted almonds! Am definitely making this one again (several times) during the up-coming winter holidays! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my vegan partners in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 3]
Nice flavor and easy to do. I like that it makes 1 loaf not a huge cake. Thanks for sharing. Made for Holiday Tag.