Lamingtons are said to be named after Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland from 1895 - 1901 The cake is easier to handle if it is a little stale; day old cake is ideal. Sponge or butter cake can be used. Lamingtons can be filled with jam and cream, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease 8x8 square pan.
- 3Beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
- 4Gradually beat in sugar, dissolving between additions.
- 5Add vanilla extract and scrape vanilla bean seeds into the mixture (Be sure to save the bean husk for vanilla sugar.mmm!)
- 6Sift together flours in separate bowl.
- 7Fold in flour to the wet mixture.
- 8Spread mixture in prepared pan.
- 9Bake for about 30 minutes.
- 10Turn onto wire rack to cool.
- 12Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof bowl, stir in butter and milk.
- 13Stir over pan of simmering water until icing is of coating consistency.
- 14Cut cake into 16 squares, dip squares into icing, drain off excess icing, toss squares in coconut.
- 15Place lamingtons on wire rack to set.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Bean Lamingtons
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.9
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.0 mg
- Sodium 75.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 38.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: