Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lamingtons are said to be named after Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland from 1895 - 1901 The cake is easier to handle if it is a little stale; day old cake is ideal. Sponge or butter cake can be used. Lamingtons can be filled with jam and cream, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8x8 square pan.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, dissolving between additions.
- Add vanilla extract and scrape vanilla bean seeds into the mixture (Be sure to save the bean husk for vanilla sugar.mmm!)
- Sift together flours in separate bowl.
- Fold in flour to the wet mixture.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof bowl, stir in butter and milk.
- Stir over pan of simmering water until icing is of coating consistency.
- Cut cake into 16 squares, dip squares into icing, drain off excess icing, toss squares in coconut.
- Place lamingtons on wire rack to set.