24 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe from way back, a different and easy way to make Vanilla Slice. When I was little, this was such a popular way ro make Vanilla Slice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 625 ml milk
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 4 tablespoons custard powder
- extra milk (about 150ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg, beaten
- 18 SAO biscuits
- 1Stir the milk, sugar and butter in saucepan over low heat, until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Remove milk mix from heat.
- 2Combine the cornflour and custard powder, add extra milk and stir until really smooth, with no lumps. Add this to the saucepan.
- 3Whisk over a low heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- 4Add vanilla and egg and beat until well combined.
- 5Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper or foil. Place nine Sao biscuits in the base of the tin. Pour warm custard filling over the top and spread out until even.
- 6Place remaining biscuits over custard.
- 7Cover and chill slice overnight.
- 8When slice has chilled overnight, ice slice with passionfruit icing and place back slice to chill until icing is firm.
- 9Use a warm knife to cut slice into squares.
- 10For the passionfruit icing place the icing sugar into a bowl, add the passionfruit pulp and mix well. Add enough lemon juice to form stiff peaks.
Browse Our Top Australian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Slice
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.6
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 67.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 32.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: