Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is based on a recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly Brunches & Lunches cookbook. I originally posted it for ZWT5 without trying it first. I've since tried it and believe it was missing something, so I added the pizza sauce as a layer underneath the original layers. Also, I used olive oil and found that 1/4 cup was not enough as the first batch of eggplant slices absorbed all oil in pan! I've revised the directions below to add the oil to the pan in batches along with the eggplant slices.
- Cut eggplant into 1cm slices.
- In large pan, heat oil a few tablespoons at a time in order to spread it among all the eggplant slices; otherwise, the first batch of eggplant may absorb it all! Add eggplant in batches, cooking until well-browned on both sides; set on absorbent paper to drain.
- Dredge veal in flour and Italian seasonings, shaking off excess.
- Preheat a frying pan with butter. Add veal and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove to platter and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and saute onion until tender but not browned. Add pizza sauce, mushrooms, and olives to onions and simmer until warm. Set aside.
- Spread pizza sauce mixture on broiler-safe platter. Place veal on top of the pizza sauce. Top evenly with eggplant, prosciutto and cheese. Broil until cheese is browned and melted.
This is based on 3 people reviewing not 4, because I did not add eggplant to my portion, neber had veal on a pizza, and it was pretty good. Everyone else loved the idea of eggplant on this, and other than adding a little extra chhese on this made as written, and was a nice change of pace. Made for Recipe Swap 45..