This yummy soup is a great one pot, fast fix meal. Wonderful for those busy weekdays or any day. Created for RSC 9.
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3 celery ribs, you can use the leaves too
- 2 medium white potatoes (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium zucchini (optional)
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes, whole
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth (veggie can be substituted) or 3 cups chicken stock (veggie can be substituted)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pasta, any small shape works well like ditalini, small shell, orzo, and kid favorite alphabet (optional)
- Cut all the vegetables (except tomatoes) into bite sized pieces and add to a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- If you prefer smaller pieces of tomato cut them against the inside of the can with a sharp knife.
- Add tomatoes and their juice along with the brown sugar to the pot. The brown sugar will reduce the acid in the tomatoes and make them taste more like home grown.
- Add broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper. I usually add about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper but we like lots of pepper. Please adjust to your taste. You may want to start with less and add more at the end if needed.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 30 minutes. Check the vegetables to ensure they are done to your liking. If they are and you are NOT using the pasta you are ready to remove the bay leaf. If not allow them to cook 5-10 minutes more or until done.
- If you ARE adding pasta -- add the pasta and cook for another 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve and enjoy!
This soup was very good with lots of flavour. I didn't have a bay leaf or parsley so I left them out. I added zucchini and orzo pasta. Thanks.
This soup was easy to make and made for a tasty and filling meal tonight. As somebody who is always watching the fat grams it was also nice to see a soup recipe that didn't start with oil. I used all the veggies but chopped them a bit bigger as we like chunky soups and other than that the other changes I made were to used canned chopped tomatoes, used a brown sugar substitute and threw in a bit of garlic powder. I also skipped the pasta because the soup was hearty enough and I used those calories to have some bread instead. Made for the Family Picks portion of the ZWT4.
Great soup and fast to prepare;just what I needed this morning.I did add some frozen vegetables from the freezer.Love the stewed tomatoes; I never think of using those,but I did have a can in the pantry.Thanks for posting.I made it for WT4. Rita