1/14 Photos of Veg-Out Soup
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
This yummy soup is a great one pot, fast fix meal. Wonderful for those busy weekdays or any day. Created for RSC 9.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 3 celery ribs, you can use the leaves too
- 2 medium white potatoes (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium zucchini (optional)
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes, whole
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth (veggie can be substituted) or 3 cups chicken stock (veggie can be substituted)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pasta, any small shape works well like ditalini, small shell, orzo, and kid favorite alphabet (optional)
- 1Cut all the vegetables (except tomatoes) into bite sized pieces and add to a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- 2If you prefer smaller pieces of tomato cut them against the inside of the can with a sharp knife.
- 3Add tomatoes and their juice along with the brown sugar to the pot. The brown sugar will reduce the acid in the tomatoes and make them taste more like home grown.
- 4Add broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper. I usually add about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper but we like lots of pepper. Please adjust to your taste. You may want to start with less and add more at the end if needed.
- 5Bring to a boil then turn heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 30 minutes. Check the vegetables to ensure they are done to your liking. If they are and you are NOT using the pasta you are ready to remove the bay leaf. If not allow them to cook 5-10 minutes more or until done.
- 6If you ARE adding pasta -- add the pasta and cook for another 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- 7Remove the bay leaf.
- 8Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veg-Out Soup
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.8
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1261.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 7.7 g