Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This zesty carrot, broccoli and bean shoot salad fits the piggy bill, with a well coated mix of carrots, broccoli, cucumber and bean shoots that creates a crunchy tangy taste sensation that is perfect for those Summer barbecues we all look back on fondly once the warm weather has long gone and the Winter chill sets in. What I love about salads is that they are so simple; and offer infinite possibilities for allergy-friendly meals the whole family can enjoy. You can dress this salad up with some chopped raw nuts and seeds. But as this recipe stands, it is a fantastic vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free and nut-free salad that keeps me in love with raw vegetables.
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups broccoli, slaw or 2 cups finely julienned broccoli stems
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 large cucumber, peeled seeded and julienned
- 2 cups fresh cilantro or 2 cups coriander, chopped finely
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced finely
To make the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (just over 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons cold pressed sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced serrano peppers, chilli depending on the heat
- 3 -4 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- Toss all of the vegetables together with the cilantro.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients except the chilli and garlic in your blender and pulse a few times until well combined.
- Then stir in the garlic and chilli.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and season to taste.
- Garnish with sesame seeds or chopped raw nuts if desired. YUM!
Very nice salad. Brought it to a potluck, and got many recipe requests. Quick, flexible, nutritious...great job!