A delicious recipe for sticky date pudding with toffee sauce, that is vegan. From the Vegetarian Cookery School.
- 250 ml soya milk
- 100 ml water
- 200 g dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 115 g vegan margarine
- 115 g soft brown sugar
- 200 g white self raising flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 g golden syrup
- 200 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C-Gas5.
- Chop the dates in half and put them in a small saucepan and cover with the soya milk and water; simmer until the dates are soft.
- Take off the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda, which will froth as you add it to the date mixture. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the date mixture and stir.
- Mix the spices into the flour. Sieve the flour and fold into the sponge mixture.
- Spoon the sponge mixture into a 20cm x 20cm tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cooked and the sponge bounces back when pressed.
- To make the sauce: melt the syrup, margarine, sugar and vanilla essence in a small saucepan; simmer for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Prick the pudding all over and pour half the hot toffee sauce over the pudding. Serve the rest of the sauce with the pudding.
- It freezes well, cut into individual servings and place in the freezer. Defrost in the microwave for 2 minutes.