A healthy almost no fat dish and a great way to use up all the left over vege's in your crisper.
Make and share this Vegetable and Lentil Hotpot recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups asst raw vegetables, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, green beans are a nice combo)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (440 g) can tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- Heat oil and saute onion and garlic in sacuepan for 2 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add all spices and saute for a further minute or so.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer covered, stirring every few minutes for about 25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are cooked.
I made this for a bunch of folks and all enjoyed immensely. We used zucchini, squash, carrots, and potaotes and this turned out very lovely & filling. One person has been fighting a cold and said this really helped. I served with garden salad & a nice loaf of crusty bread. Thanks for an easy filling meal!!
Good flavor. My DH really liked it, which surprised me because he doesn't care for sweet potatoes! I was afraid that it was going to be too spicy for me so I just added the chili powder a little at a time until I had the whole amount in. I was amazed that there was little to no heat at all. Thanks for a new recipe!
This is great! I am really digging it right now...especially with added dollops of plain yogurt. I went with a combo of sweet potato, orange bell pepper, celery, and carrot. Also used veggie stock. I think next time I will opt for fresh ginger since I prefer that taste to the powdered stuff. Really good, well-spiced recipe! Thanks so much :)