Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From the Yahoo site. I'm saving it to make when we start to catch plenty of fish around June.
Make and share this Vietnamese Fish and Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups fish or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 600 g firm white fish fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and cut into thin wedges
- 2 small red chilies, deseeded and finely sliced (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- mint (Vietnamese for preference)
- fresh coriander
- bean sprouts
- Combine fish stock, fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic and 2 cups water in a large saucepan. Heat and simmer for 5 minute.
- Add fish and cook for 3-5 min, until the fish is just cooked through.
- Stir in tomato, chillies and lime juice. Cook for 1-2 min, or until tomato is soft. Season to taste and garnish with Vietnamese mint, coriander and bean shoots.
Wow -- this was really exotic and delicious! Only used 1 pound of fish (haddock); really would have benefited from the full 1-1/3 pounds, so don't shortchange unless you have to. Also couldn't get palm sugar or Vietnamese mint, living where I do (the back of beyond), so made appropriate substitutions. A little squirt of Sriracha sauce, and voila! Will certainly make this again.