Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A slightly different way to have mussels having the aborio rice instead of crusty bread. Based on a Womens Weekly recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped finely (160g)
- 300 g arborio rice
- 1 liter hot vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chilies, chopped finely
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley stems
- 80 ml vodka
- 24 medium black mussels, cleaned (600g)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Heat half the oil in a large pan; cook half of the onion, stirring until soft.
- Add rice; stir to coat in oil mixture.
- Stir in 1 cup stock; cook, stirring, over low heat until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding stock in 1 cup batches, stirring until absorbed before next addition.
- Total cooking time should be about 35 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Meanwhile heat remaining oil in medium pan; cook remaining onion, garlic and chili, stirring until onion is soft.
- Stir in parsley and vodka; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in mussels; cook covered about 10 minutes or until mussels open.
- Discard any that do not open.
- Drain mussels over medium heatproof bowl; reserve liquid.
- Pick out mussels, shake off cooking solids, place mussels in medium bowl.
- Stir reserved liquid into risotto; cook risotto, stirring until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir rind and dill into risotto; serve with mussels.