Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this from a local cooking show I was watching. Tried it and loved it. A very nice alternative steak sandwich. Perfect for summer lunch or light dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 (150 g) wagyu steaks
- 4 thin slices quality sourdough bread
- 1⁄2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed and drained, chopped finely
- 50 g blue cheese, sliced thinly
- 1 fresh ripe pear, sliced thinly
- 1 large handful of fresh watercress
- Heat half the oil in a small frying pan and cook onions for 10 minutes over a medium heat until they are softened.
- Add sugar, vinegar and salt & pepper and cook until liquid evaporates and onions become jam-like.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper and rub with a little of the remaining olive oil.
- Cook on pre-heated frying pan or barbeque flat-plate until cooked as desired for about 2 minutes each side.
- Transfer to plate and cover to keep warm and rest.
- Drizzle each of the slices of bread with the remaining oil and toast on both sides until golden.
- To serve, combine mayonnaise with pepper and capers and spread on one side of each piece of sourdough.
- Top two of the pieces of sourdough with watercress, onions, steak, pear slices and blue cheese. The top with remaining piece of sourdough, mayo side down and serve.