Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe from my friend Jocelyn, who got it from her elderly friend Beryl. This is made in 2 X 400ml soup cans and freezes extremely well. It's simple, super moist and tastes great.
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (raisins, sultanas, currants, dates, cranberries etc)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice (similar to pumpkin spice)
- Put syrup, soda and milk in saucepan; heat to warm (not hot), then add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Spray tins and fill to 3/4 full; cover with foil.
- Put 3 inches of boiling water in a tray, add cake tins and steam for 1 hour in 350f oven.