1/1 Photo of Walnut & Pear Spaghetti
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A light, flavoursome and highly individual pasta dish which includes pear (or apple) and walnuts among its ingredients. Makes a great stand alone dish, or it could be served as a side dish for four. Adapted from a recipe from Australian chef flip shelton's 'green: modern vegetarian recipes'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g spaghetti
- 200 g baby spinach leaves, washed well and roughly chopped
- 50 g gorgonzola (I don't like either of these, so I used 1 tablespoon parmesan and 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt) or 50 g blue cheese (I don't like either of these, so I used 1 tablespoon parmesan and 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt)
- 1/2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced or 1 granny smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup walnuts, shelled, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Three quarters fill a large pot with water, bring to the boil, add the spaghetti and cook till al dente (about 8 minutes).
- 2Drain the spaghetti being careful to RESERVE SOME OF THE COOKING WATER.
- 3Return the hot spaghetti to the pot and, over a low heat, add the baby spinach leaves and cheese and stir until the baby spinach leaves wilt and the cheese starts to melt; add a little of the pasta water and continue to stir. (When I made this using yoghurt instead of cheese, I added very little water; judge how much water to use by the consistency).
- 4Add the pear (or apple), walnuts, thyme and sage, stir well, and allow to warm through.
- 5Drizzle with lemon juice, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and serve hot.
- 6Notes: For a smoother sauce, in a small pan, over a very low heat, melt the cheese with some of the pasta water and stir in the pear (or apple); then stir in the spaghetti and baby spinach leaves, until they are well coated; then add the lemon juice and gently fold in the walnuts, thyme and sage.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut & Pear Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.7
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.7 mg
- Sodium 434.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 27.7 g