1/1 Photo of White Rabbit
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
After a couple of weeks of eating our way through more than 10kgs of tomatoes, I wanted rabbit but I wanted it white. I found a similar recipe on the net but simplified it to suit my pantry (white wine rather than verjuice, dijon mustard rather than truffled mustard and sour cream instead of mascarpone). I cooked this on the stove top, but you could do it in a slow to moderate oven too. The prep time is a bit of a guess-I'm expecting most people would get their rabbit already in pieces-I had to cut my own wild rabbit up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg rabbit joint, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced (I had to use red)
- 40 g pancetta, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy lidded pan and add the rabbit, turning to seal on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- 2Add the onion and pancetta and cook for a couple of minutes until the onion is softened, add the garlic and cook a minute or so more.
- 3Add the wine, stock, mustard thyme and bay leaf and stir to combine scraping any brown bits off the bottom. Bring to the boil.
- 4Return the rabbit to the pan, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- 5Cook over a low heat for around two hours or until the rabbit is very tender.
- 6Remove the rabbit and keep warm.
- 7Bring the liquid to a fast boil and cook until it's a sauce consistency. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sour cream and parsley.
- 8We served the rabbit and this sauce over mash.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Rabbit
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.8
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 147.0 mg
- Sodium 241.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 52.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: