7 hrs 30 mins
This recipe came from 'Joan Bishop's New Zealand Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook'. If you're short on time and expecting company, but still want something a little special, this dish is a good choice. It is simple but delicious. The author suggests cooking in a crockpot on low 7-8 hours or on high 3 1/2-4 hours and in a slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours and on high for 3-3 1/2 hours. I have a slow cooker, so that is the time I have put on the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 kg) whole chickens
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 40 g sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, well drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons wine
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1Remove the skin from the chicken and discard.
- 2Grate the zest from the orange. Place grated zest in a small bowl and set aside. Cut the orange into quarters and place inside the chicken cavity and close with toothpicks. Place the chicken in the cooker breast side down.
- 3Combine the brown sugar, ginger, garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and the chopped sundried tomatoes with the orange zest. Mix well.
- 4Using a pastry brush, spread and dab this mixture over the chicken.
- 5Cover with the lid and cook following the times and settings in the description above.
- 6Lift the chicken from the cooker and pour the liquid which has accumulated into a small saucepan. Return the chicken to the cooker, cover with the lid and keep the chicken warm while you make the sauce.
- 7Mix the brandy to a smooth paste with the cornflour. Stir into the liquid in the saucepan.
- 8Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens.
- 9Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Chicken With Tomato and Orange
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.4
- Calories from Fat 485
- Total Fat 53.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.3 mg
- Sodium 333.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 58.4 g