Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From Margaret E Walker at inmamaskitchen.com. Native to Australia is the yabbie or freshwater prawns or crayfish. If this fresh ingredient is unavailable, I would substitute prawns (shrimp). If condensed pumpkin soup is unavailable, I would substitute pureed pumpkin.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, diced (400 grams)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed pumpkin soup
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 1 lb yabbie meat (500 grams) or 1 lb crawfish meat, poached (500 grams) or 1 lb prawns, cooked (500 grams)
- herbs, sprigs for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Stir in onion and cook over medium heat until translucent, but not brown.
- Add diced sweet potato, and stir over low heat for about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and simmer for a further 4 minutes. Add can of pumpkin soup. Add curry powder and seasoning, together with chopped herbs. Add coconut cream. Lastly, add cup of milk, mixed with cornflour. Simmer together for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Can either be served with vegetable chunks in sauce, or pureed in a blender.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the fettuccine. Boil for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss with yabbies or prawns. Serve in a deep bowl with a generous ladle of sauce mixture and serve.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh herbs.