bluemoon downunder's Note:
Adapted from a recipe I found on the Simply Great Meals website. Faced a dilemma in settling on a name for these. They are n-e-v-e-r called Yo Yo Biscuits, just Yo Yos... the Simply Great Meals website called them Yo Yo's, but the apostrophe makes no sense, and without the apostrophe the name looks like Yo YOS - which sounds silly and is NOT what they are known as! Conversions: 150g = just under 5oz; 60g = 2oz. Personally, I'd prefer to omit the food coloring. Not anti-pink, just prefer to avoid unnecessary chemicals. Seems to me that even a 1/2 teaspoon of cherry juice would achieve the pinkness if that's what you're after. The slivered almonds are not generally found in a traditional Yo Yo: I've added those. I'm of the belief that yummy nut never goes astray, be it in sweet or savoury dishes.
My Private Note
Yum Yum ...
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g butter, preferably unsalted
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup custard powder, sifted
- 1/8 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1Cream the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy; add the sifted self-raising flour and custard powder and mix to a firm dough; fold in the slivered almonds (if using).
- 2Taking a teaspoonful of the mixture, roll into balls and place onto a baking paper lined oven tray; press lightly with the back of a fork (see TIP below) and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°-375°F/4-5 gas mark for 10-12 minutes.
- 3Make the butter cream by beating the butter and icing sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy; add 1-2 drops of food colouring (if using) to make the cream pale pink; join the biscuits together with butter cream.
- 4TIP: When making the pattern with the fork, dip the fork in plain flour to prevent it sticking to the biscuit mixture.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yum Yum Yo Yo Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.6
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 139.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: