1 hr 10 mins
An Australian cup is 250ml. A plain ring tin is not as deep as a fluted ring so may not be suitable for the amount of mixture. Because of the detailed shape of the cake tin it may not be able to be lined with baking paper, so brush the tin with a thick layer of melted butter and dust with flour or desiccated coconut to prevent sticking. Only use a light flavoured oil such as a ‘lite’ olive, safflower or canola, not strong flavours such as virgin olive oil or peanut oil. The unglazed cake can be frozen for up 3 weeks, allow to thaw in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- melted butter, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 2 large zucchini (or 3 medium)
- 2 limes
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C Brush a fancy or fluted deep 22cm ring tin with melted butter and dust with flour. Rinse the zucchini and pat dry with paper towel. Grate the zucchini using a large hole grater.
- 2Finely grate the rind from the 2 limes. Place the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lime rind into a large mixing bowl and whisk with a ballon whisk until the mixture is well combined and thickens.
- 3Using a large sharp knife chop the pistachios finely. Add the prepared pistachios, almond meal, flour, cardamom and zucchini mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- 4Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, smooth the surface. Bake for 45 minutes or until when a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Stand the cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out, to cool. Sit the cake right side up on a cake cooler and stand over a sheet of baking paper. When cold pour the glaze over the cake, sprinkle with the pistachios, and stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- 5To make the glaze place the butter and lime juice into a medium pan stir over a low heat until the butter has melted remove from the heat and add the icing sugar, stir to combine. Return to the heat and stir for 1 minute. Remove and stand for 15 minutes before pouring over the cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Cake With Lime and Pistachio
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.6
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 333.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste